Information is a valuable asset that can make or break your business. When properly managed it allows you to operate with confidence. Information security management gives you the freedom to grow, innovate and broaden your customer-base in the knowledge that all your confidential information will remain that way.
Published in 2005, ISO 27001 is an Information Security Management System (ISMS) standard, designed to ensure the selection of adequate and proportionate security controls that protect information assets.
Being a formal specification means that it mandates specific requirements, and organisations that have adopted ISO 27001 can therefore be formally audited and certified in compliance with the standard. ISO 27001 requires that a business does the following:
- Systematically examines information security risks, taking account of any potential threats, vulnerabilities and associated impacts
- Designs and implements a coherent and comprehensive suite of information security controls and/or additional methods of risk treatment (such as risk avoidance or risk transfer) to address any potential risks that are deemed unacceptable
- Adopts a management process to ensure that the information security controls continue to meet the organisation’s information security needs on an ongoing basis
- Keeps confidential information secure
- Provides customers and stakeholders with confidence in how you manage risk
- Allows for secure exchange of information
- Helps you to comply with other regulations
- Provide you with a competitive advantage and differentiation
- Enhanced customer satisfaction that improves client retention
- Consistency in the delivery of your service or product
- Manages and minimizes risk exposure
- Builds a culture of security
- Protects the company, assets, shareholders and directors